1. Confidence and a smile is the best accessory anyone can add to their attire. What makes it so great is that you don’t even have to pay for it!
2. The classic blue pin stripe suit will never go out of style, but the way you enhance it is by adding contrasting patterns in the shirt, tie and accessories.
3. Add a unique tie to your outfit to make it pop. When you experiment with different patterns and colors, it has to be strategic. My recommendation is that when you’re wearing patterns; go with a maximum of two.
4. Color says a lot in the clothes that you are wearing. The hint of blue on my colored dress shirt gives this outfit a sense of professionalism and is welcoming to the eye.
5. The little details really makes a difference in your look. Here, I accessorized by having a monogram on the cuff of my shirt.
As a fashion stylist and author, Michael Ferrera (’04) makes sure that his clients are always dressed for success and he wants to do the same for you! Here, Ferrera shares five fashion tips to keep you looking and feeling your best!
Michael Ferrera is the founder and president of his own company, Michael Ferrera Custom Clothing, where he creates clothing for business professionals, athletes and entertainers. He is also the author of a book series, “The Perfect Gentleman’s Pocket Guide.” An undergraduate economics student and a basketball player during his time at UCR, Ferrera describes his own personal style as consistent, creative, and fun.
1. What are some of your favorite UCR memories?
One is playing basketball. It has given me so many different opportunities in life and taught me how to manage time as a student-athlete, a skill that I use today for my business. Those three years of playing basketball in college were without a doubt the most enjoyable time of my life.
Second to that takes place in the classroom. I was in a business-econ class and I wasn’t paying attention to anything that was happening because I was in the back of the room, hand-drawing my logo for my first clothing company. It was a 90-minute class and I just drew the whole time. It was at that moment that some of the foundations of what we see today with my company were created.
2. What was the inspiration behind your book, “The Perfect Gentleman’s Pocket Guide”?
As a keynote speaker and a presenter, I worked a lot with universities and corporations, but there came a point where I couldn’t speak at every location, be at every seminar or come to every workshop. So I decided to write the book with the intent of helping people even when I am not physically there. And in time, it became a valuable tool to add to my speaking and other engagements.
Now I’m working on the follow-up to that book. “The Perfect Gentleman’s Pocket Guide for College” will be coming to stores at the end of 2016. It is important because it is a gentleman’s insider to college with topics like how to go on great dates on a low, college budget.
3. What does being a “gentleman” mean to you?
To me, being a gentleman is being conscious and considerate of other people around you. Because as a gentleman, we are supposed to be an asset to other people that we interact with. So if we’re conscious of the feelings and environment of the other person, we can better help them. How can you be of value to other people? That’s what being a gentleman is.
4. Are there any style icons that you look up to?
I wouldn’t say style icon, but rather business icon because I’ve seen that your style in business is your own form of personality or “swag.” That would be Ralph Lauren. Outside of being a fashion designer and brand, he’s also an amazing car collector and a businessman. It’s these different components that allow him to succeed in different levels. That is iconic. It’s how you go beyond the realm that individuals know you for.
5. Do you have a motto that you live by?
My philosophy as a businessman and an entrepreneur is in the power of belief or unbelief. If you truly believe that opportunities are endless or that growth is infinite, then it is! But if you think that there’s only so far that you can grow, then you’re absolutely right as well. You can only go that far because that’s as far as your mind can believe, but if you can change the way we think at a young age in college, it’ll allow our enjoyment of life to be greater because then there’s no end to the successes or the opportunities.
For more tips, be sure to check out Michael Ferrera’s book series, “The Perfect Gentleman’s Pocket Guide.”